Profile image for SarahMH95

For those that read the Tavistock Times frequently, I'm sure will have been led to believe that every youth in Tavistock is a binge drinking plant pot stealing hooligan. I wish to state that this is NOT the case. I'm a Sixth Form student at Tavistock College and am extraordinarily hurt by the way in which myself and my peers are treated locally. I've been forced to remove bags before entering supermarkets purely because I'm not an adult. Passers by in the street will not look me in the eye, despite efforts to smile at my fellow citizens of Tavistock. How can one then begrudge the youth of Tavistock for misbehaving - we recieve little to no recognition when we do succeed. The majority of my peers are conscientious young men and women, the majority of which are holding down part time jobs despite being in full time education and having busy social lives, proving themselves to be hardworking and significant members of our society. People of Tavistock, please do remember that us teenagers are not all bad, in fact: it is only a very small minority that are.

By SarahMH95 at 17:24 on 20/04/12

Re-post           

• Profile image for chipperx

Very well said Sarah!

By chipperx at 18:43 on 20/04/12

• Profile image for star2sparkle

I agree with you Sarah as I have three teenagers who are also very decent young people. However, you mentioned you all have part-time jobs and I'm afraid to say that I don't think that's right for it is depriving families of jobs. I recognise how hard you work but it is really wrong that adults can't get part-time jobs because the youngsters have nabbed them! I wonder about wages and also whether employers think they can take advantage of youngsters, to be honest.

By star2sparkle at 19:18 on 20/04/12

Although I have just heard that many of the lower sixth spend a lot of their time throwing a ball around the Octagon?!

By star2sparkle at 19:25 on 20/04/12

• Profile image for SarahMH95

I understand your point, put by "part time job" I mean cleaning/waitress/kitchen portering etc - nothing dissimilar to the work which my generation would've been employed in 20 years ago, prior to economic crisis. Furthermore, at the end of the day, employers will employ the best person for the job, regardless of age - so in that sense families have just as much opportunity to become employed in such work as us. In fact, I would imagine that an employer would, if choosing between a teenager and someone with a family to support etc, opt for the elder person as they would probably have more experience. And those that throw a ball around are definitely an exceedingly small minority :)

By SarahMH95 at 19:42 on 20/04/12

• Profile image for cheerio123

What's wrong with throwing a ball around the Octagon? If that's how they want to spend their down time then so be it. It's not doing any harm! And MANY is not ALL .... which is Sarah's point. Plus I don't quite agree that students shouldn't be allowed jobs. Many of them need to help towards household costs, pay for petrol to get to and from school etc. It shows a good work ethic, and if they didn't have jobs then people would just be moaning that they're lazy! Some people can't win! That was very eloquently written SarahMH95.

By cheerio123 at 19:44 on 20/04/12

Sarah, I think you will find employers prefer a younger person because it means less wages to pay out by law! Cheerio; what are you like? :-) I'm not saying children shouldn't be allowed jobs; it is this present economic climate that dictates that. Look, I know of a job that was going; cleaning for three hours a week and over 30 people went for it! I don't think it is fair for a kid to have that job when there are families trying desperately to pay their bills and feed their own kids! It would also be very naive to assume that all young people would spend it on household costs and petrol! How about HMV and MacDonalds! Okay, I'm not saying all, and certainly not Sarah, but many. I do have this on good authority incidentally. I have three teenagers! And as for throwing a ball around, what about using that time to do their work that they hadn't done?! I am also a teacher of A' level, so I'm not making this up Cheerio. There are youngsters that work hard, like Sarah, but I'm afraid to say not all are like her.

By star2sparkle at 11:45 on 22/04/12

• Profile image for minidm

I am a frequent reader of The Tavistock Times and am proud of our local newspaper. I am sure the paper has a duty to report all aspects of stories and like anywhere else in Great Britain there are always going to be a minority of people who misbehave regardless of age - i believe i am right in thinking that in last weeks edition there was a glowing report (front page news i think) of two sisters from Tavistock College who have sailed to national success. I don't believe for one minute the paper treats youth's in Tavistock badly - i am very proud of Tavistock and all that live here x

By minidm at 11:52 on 23/04/12

Oh, this wasn't intended to be a dig at the newspaper - more so at the few teenagers letting us down, and the few overly judgmental people letting society down - I too am an avid reader of the Tavi Times :)
    As for the issue of jobs, many of my peers hold down jobs, not to earn money to spend on fast food but in order to bolster university applications/their CVs in later life, in a hope that when they have a family to support, they won't be one of 30 applying for a cleaning job three hours a week! Fortunately many employers - including my own - recognise this

By SarahMH95 at 20:14 on 24/04/12

That's wrong Sarah, and though it really isn't fair, the jobs should go to the ones who need it the most; those whose families could be put out onto the streets and can't feed their kids, not youngsters enhancing their lives I'm afraid. I know that's harsh. And you have the wrong idea, the people applying for the cleaning job had degrees! So don't automatically assume that if you go to uni you will get a good job. There are plenty of graduates who don't have jobs and are trying to get the jobs that you youngsters have. Employers recognise this and get cheap labour!

By star2sparkle at 19:18 on 25/04/12

Sorry to say it but I think its you thats wrong star2sparkle. Its a free country and anyone can apply for any job they like. How on earth could we determine who deserves a job the most? It wouldn't work. No ones going to be put out on to the streets. I think your being overly dramatic. What do you have against youngters enhancing their lives? Strange logic if you ask me.

By chipperx at 12:55 on 26/04/12

I am more than aware that going to university and gaining a degree does not automatically guarantee you a good job. So what does then? Experience? Knowing the right people? All of which can be gained by maintaining a part time job throughout your latter teens. There is no significant difference between "youngsters enhancing their lives" and adults enhancing their lives by maintaining such a job. Furthermore, using the threat of families being cast on to the street and left to starve is ridiculous - our welfare state clearly dictates that such a thing will not occur.

By SarahMH95 at 20:02 on 26/04/12

• Profile image for TGronow

I don't know if I am too late but I have you ever stopped to think whether us young people are just better at putting ourselves out there. Many of us are still in full time education yet manage to find ourselves part time job and hand out CV's. I have had two in the past year and I do not believe that I get them because of I was younger but because of my determination and persistence.

By TGronow at 20:38 on 26/04/12

• Profile image for TGronow

I realise there were many typos is my last comment...

By TGronow at 20:38 on 26/04/12

• Profile image for evie270195

we are getting jobs to help financially support us through university so we can get degrees and jobs where we wont need to be 'taking all the cafe's away from families' because we will have gotten better qualifications and therefore a better job. instead of ending up as bus drivers with no qualificaitions

the fact we are going out and getting jobs shows independance and maturity and we are very encouraged to do so, so maybe you should think before you speak!

By evie270195 at 20:43 on 26/04/12

• Profile image for TashaGP92

I think that you will find many people feel the jobs that us teenagers do are 'beneath' them! I work in a restaurant in tavistock and there is one lady over the age of 40 that works there with a family to support. When there are adverts in the paper for jobs going i have only known of a couple of cases where people with families or who are older have applied, the job is there but they just don't access it. So i think it is wrong to say that it is unfair that teenagers nab all the jobs, because they certainly don't! If people really were that desperate then they would apply for every job going, which they clearly don't.... plus the benefit system, as Sarah has said would not allow for a whole family to be put out onto the street! I am 20, a student and volunteer to get the experience i need in order to get onto a masters degree. Therefore, i have to work part-time in order to fund this, as my parents certainly cannot afford to keep me. I think you would complain if youngsters didn't have jobs, lazed around every weekend and had everything bought for them by there parents - you clearly cannot win whatever you do, there will always be someone that will disagree with you!

By TashaGP92 at 20:45 on 26/04/12

• Profile image for BethM94

Well said Sarah. I find it absolutely dispicable that any adult of such would discourage "youths" applying and seeking jobs. The way in which we're categorised in the teenage yob section makes me want to place adults in the stuck up, selfish category. Why on earth is it acceptable to voice an opinion such as "the jobs should go to the ones who need it the most; those whose families could be put out onto the streets and can't feed their kids" I think someone needs to have a long hard think and sit down with their selves and realise how damn right wrong and selfish those words were.

By BethM94 at 20:51 on 26/04/12

I am an adult and have also possibly taught you, so I think you need to learn some respect! Especially Beth. As well as knowledge...have you actually heard of the word 'homeless'? Of course people are on the streets! You do need to grow up but I fear you will discover this and find out for yourselves, especially in the cities. People's houses are being repossessed, families are in massive debt. You are just starting out! It isn't a fair world and this is what you will learn. But, guess what? I have work to do so I really don't wish to waste my time here now as I get a distinct feeling you will just keep saying the same thing!

By star2sparkle at 11:56 on 27/04/12

I hope you appreciate that this discussion was begun in a polite and considerate manner, it is unfortunate that you have chosen to assuage this. In no way have I been disrespectful - I've merely been arguing my opinion. It is you, star2sparkle that has declared my opinion "wrong". If you wish to be respected then do learn to respect other people's views, it is basic manners.

As an aside, seeing as you have brought up your career (I appreciate you will note that I've avoided getting "personal") then I wish to make it clear that it is teachers such as yourself that close people's minds and enforce the blind obedience that leads so many people to lose their own sense of moral judgement and simply follow status quo - something that, upon reading your blog, I'd assumed you would be against. Not only this, but as a teacher you should be encouraging children to try their best in all walks of life - if you had faith in both yourself as a teacher and your pupils you would perhaps contemplate that it may be this new generation of hard workers that break the cycle of poverty that you are (rightly) condemning.

As to your final point, notice how my argument has mutated slightly and taken into account your viewpoint. It is you however that has repeated the same old thing and refused to denote a second of your time to contemplating that (to some extent) you may be wrong.

...Do not attempt to attribute national poverty to the fact that I mop floors on a Saturday morning.

By SarahMH95 at 19:11 on 27/04/12

• Profile image for DevonDevil

Hi I have been reading this post from the begining, as a older Mum with children ageing from 18 to 7 years. My middle child has often commented that when he where his hood up to protect him from the rain the older generation seem to view him in a completly different light from when he doesn't, He also does a paper round each morning, encouraging your child to have a work ethic from an early age I beleive is a good thing. People trying to get work often can not afford to do these jobs, the problem is with the benefit system not with students. I would add that the person who suggests that they are a teacher should re read these posts from the begining, the majority of these comments are from teenagers - maybe you don't remember what it was like to be one. I think it show muturity for them to take part in a discusion about things that frustrate them, prey tell, what as a teacher would you prefer them to do?

By DevonDevil at 21:31 on 29/04/12

I would add also, going back to the first postings about having to remove your school bags at Morrisons, I have made a complaint to Morrisons' as when my son was meeting me in the store he was told to remove his bag, when he met up with me, he stayed with the trolly and I went back and got his back that was left unattended. I asked the Customer services team why the bag was left for anyone to take (as clearly I was not a teenage boy) and who would then be responsible for the theft of his bag and the possesions inside? I appreciate that there maybe a problem with shoplifting but why discriminate only against teenagers, I would also add that my eldest son advised the security guard of a man in his mid twenties, that was loading a shopping trolly with Monster drink (that was on promotion at the time and at the front of the store) and was very unlikely to purchase so much of it! I beleive because of my sons actions the man was stopped. If it is necessary/legal for the store to demand removal of school bags then they should provide somewhere secure for them to be left. Although the customer services staff were in agreement with me, I beleive there policy has not changed.

By DevonDevil at 13:12 on 30/04/12

I'm gald that so many well spoken young people have stepped forward to have their say. Well done, and I wish you every best for the future .... I'm sure it will be bright :-) @DevonDevil That Morrisons rule sounds ridiculous! I bet your poor son felt terribe when they asked him to remove the bag. No one should be made to feel like a criminal. And the fact that it was left un-attended is disgusting. Yes, the very very least they can do is look after if if they make you take it off! Well all I can say is that not all people share these views.

By chipperx at 14:17 on 30/04/12

• Profile image for Sean4u

It is deeply wrong to tar all young people with the same brush - it's so wrong, in fact, there are laws against it! It might be worth getting in touch with the EHRC, as _age_ is one of their target areas. I sent them an email about a different matter once and they were quick to reply and very helpful:

http://tinyurl.com/cvfbvyy

'Contact us' is the very last link on their pages, at the bottom right. It seems trivially wrong to act prejudicially against you because they once had a problem with a young person and you are also young, therefore guilty as charged. On the other hand, I've a feeling that law protecting you from prejudice on the grounds of age will have to accommodate somehow all the positive prejudice that exists in law for minors. I'd be interested to know what they say.

Here's an article that suggests a store might not resist a credible attempt to complain about a prejudicial policy:

http://tinyurl.com/cokxar9

By Sean4u at 14:51 on 30/04/12

My son indeed was upset by the implication that he was only there to steel as was I, I have bought my children up to know right from wrong and that you treat others and their property as you would like others to treat you and your property, and they know there would be serious consequences should they let themselves down - so thank you chipperex for your comments it's nice to know that not everyone thinks the youth of today are no good. Also thank you to Sean4u I have emailed EHRC to ask if Morrisons can treat people like this just because of their age - I will let you know how I get on. I know the youth are often accused of things, but they are all individuals there are good and bad in ALL of us, people should not be judged on their age, look or anything else. A responsible individual should only make their minds up once they actually get to know the person, and hopefully SarahMH95 can be assured by some of the above comments :)

By DevonDevil at 20:56 on 03/05/12

• Profile image for laughingstock

Not sure if any of you are aware of Tidy Tavy, a group of volunteers who meet up to litter-pick once a month? Next month, we'll be meeting at the Wharf carpark at 10am on Saturday 9 June. You need to bring rubber gloves, but rubbish sacks and litter-picklers are provided! It would be great to have some enthusiastic younger people join us and add to the mix. You can just turn up and we are divided into small groups to forage for litter in hard-to-reach places that can sometimes be missed and it'sa good get-to-know you that spans the age divide. All welcome to join in!

By laughingstock at 15:41 on 11/05/12

• Profile image for laughingstock

um...I meant litter pickers. Pickled litter might taste slightly disgusting.

By laughingstock at 15:42 on 11/05/12

Re: My6 previous comment I now have a respones:Thank you for your recent email. I can understand why both you and your son would be upset at the way he was treated, however, unfortunately the Equality Act 2010 would not apply in this situation.

The parts of the Act relating to age discrimination do not apply to the provision of goods and services. We are therefore unable to provide you with advice on this matter.

I know my thoughts, but yours would be appreciated.

Gill

By DevonDevil at 18:41 on 22/05/12

• Profile image for cheerio123

So if an 80 year-old lady was denied access to a 'fashion' shop becuase she wasn't 'young' enough or t'rendy' enough then that would be ok? Because apparently there is no law/act preventing this!! Shocking.

By cheerio123 at 12:50 on 23/05/12

From what I understand from the response I got, I assume this that indeed that would be the case cheerio123 - It seems that a shop can discriminate on age, but you have to ask how this would effect their trade if they were too, maybe Morrisons should consider this, just because their is no legal implications doesn't make it ethically right..

By DevonDevil at 20:23 on 27/05/12

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Local Jobs

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent