Tavistock on flood alert
By PGStrange | Friday, December 21, 2012, 17:29
TAVISTOCK IS ON FLOOD alert as rain could bring more flooding over the weekend. There are currently 56 flood alerts in the Devon region, including Tavistock. More bad weather is expected to sweep in on Saturday and Sunday…
The River Tavy pictured earlier this evening (Friday 21 December). The Environment Agency has put the river on flood alert. More rain is expected over the weekend
Devon County Council says its highways teams and social care staff are on high alert, ready to respond to potential flooding and other emergency incidents over the weekend.
With further heavy rain expected, particularly during tonight (Friday 21 December) and Saturday morning, the council is warning residents to take care and remain alert to flooding.
Persistent rain earlier this week means there is an increased risk of surface water and river flooding as well as the potential for fallen trees and landslips, particularly in areas where the ground is already saturated.
The Environment Agency has put the River Tavy at Tavistock on flood alert. Flooding is possible in this area, so be prepared.
Advice for motorists:
- Do not drive through flood water or fords with heightened flows
- Driving at night can be especially hazardous as some storm damage or floods are not readily visible
- Listen and take head of weather forecasts, and drive appropriately for the conditions
- Don't drive too fast and remember to increase your braking distances
- Drive very carefully on minor roads, as problems may not be brought to the attention of the highways teams or the emergency services immediately